Sunday, February 22, 2009

Two Year Old Boy v. Four Year Old Girl

One of the benefits of our time in Rome is that I've gotten an opportunity to spend all day, every day with the kids. This isn't something we've ever experienced as I had been working up until we left in January. And it has been really remarkable to watch them interact and assert their independence.

I knew even before Augustine was born that our 2nd child would be nothing like our first. How could he or she? Celia was the kind of first child that would have convinced any parent to have several more. She was sweet, affectionate, well behaved (mostly) and loved many sedentary & quiet activities - coloring and crafts, imaginary play, etc. That's not to say that she doesn't have her active moments. She most certainly does. But for the most part, give her a picture of a princess - or draw one yourself - and a pack of color pencils and she's happy as a clam! And so are mom and dad since we are able to complete whatever project we are working on too.


Then came Augustine, a rambunctious boy from the start. On an overnight trip when he was a year old, he jumped off the porch - twice I believe - trying to escape my parents. He suffered a few cuts and bruises, but that is par for the course with this kid.

So I knew when we came to Rome that I'd have my hands full. For the most part, things have gone as I expected. Augustine leads the charge - in a full sprint - at every opportunity. And Celia, though she'll go along from time to time, generally enjoys flower picking, rock collecting, or photographing during whatever craziness Augustine is pursuing. I've attached a couple classic examples: Augustine in full sprint running laps at the Circus Maximus - he's the little one on the right way in the distance and CJ is trailing him in the black coat (Celia was collecting rocks off to the side), Augustine digging in the dirt on Janiculum Hill (Celia collecting rocks in the background), Augustine not willing to sit still - even to dig in the dirt with a stick - so marching off and dragging his sister along with him.
What has been most amusing for me, is that in addition to asserting himself physically (which he has always tried to do but has more recently been successful at as he's gotten older, stronger, and more coordinated), he has also started to challenge his place as the little brother.
Case and point, as the children were being put to bed tonight Celia was refusing her asthma treatment (not an option) and Augustine reprimanded her that if she didn't take it she'd get "no gelato, no ice cream, and no [Kinder] egg!" To which Celia snapped back - "Gelato and ice cream are the same thing. And it's no gelato, no candy and no egg anyway!" At least they've both been listening!
I have no doubt that this is only the beginning, and they will both continue to find new and exciting ways to tire CJ and me. But it has been a blessing to have this time with them so far and to watch them grow and learn from eachother in such an amazing city.

No comments:

Post a Comment