Santa Maria in Trastevere, which you've seen a shot or two of before is a minor basilica in the Trastevere area of Rome. It may have been the first church to openly celebrate the Christian mass.
According to legend, in 38 BC a spout of oil appeared out of the ground on this site. The Fons olei (meaning oil spring) was interpreted by Trastevere's Jewish community as a sign that Christ was coming. The spring caused this to become a meeting place for converts to Christianity. (St. Jerome in the 4th century
mentions this legend).
The church was founded by Pope Callixtus I and was built sometime between his papacy and that of Pope Julius I. (Texts vary on how early the church was constructed). And it was the first church in Rome dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary.
The church was founded by Pope Callixtus I and was built sometime between his papacy and that of Pope Julius I. (Texts vary on how early the church was constructed). And it was the first church in Rome dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Under Pope Innocent II (c 1140) the church was rebuilt. Pietro Cavallini added mosaics (mostly scenes from the life of the Virgin Mary) around 1291 and Pope Clement XI had the portico rebuilt by Carlo Fontana in 1702.
The Facade mosaic shows Mary feeding baby Jesus and 10 women on either side of her holding lamps. The lamps
are lit on eight of the women, symbolizing virginity, but the lamps of two of the women have gone out - these women are likely widows. (It's easier to see these in the images at the top).
Located quite close to our apartment, I find that we end up at Santa Maria quite often. Besides being a gathering place in Trastevere (and therefore perfect for people watching!), we all really enjoy looking at the basilica. Celia loves the images of the Virgin Mary - in
So it was not surprising that yesterday afternoon after a walk around the City we ended up in the Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere. Celia insisted we take a few shots, so here are a few I took just after the sun had sent.
No comments:
Post a Comment