http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00j4j1j
One of CJ's professors here in Rome, Architect David Mayernik, held an interview with the BBC that will air tomorrow and be available online. Based on what I've heard of David's lectures from CJ, and the bits of David's book that I've read myself, I'm sure this will be an interesting interview.
Sunday Feature – From Ecstasy To Infinity
Sunday 15 March
9.30-10.15pm (UK time)
BBC RADIO 3
Feature information:
Mathematician Marcus du Sautoy brings a different perspective to the exuberant arts of the Baroque. In Rome, Marcus discovers the geometry behind the design of stunning churches by Bernini and Borromini. In Versailles, he discovers the baroque gardens play with perspective and illusion. And at St Paul's cathedral, he sees how Wren's knowledge of mathematics enabled him to construct the magnificent dome.
For Marcus du Sautoy, the making of the programme has been fascinating, as he explains: "The baroque was always a style I'd associated with excess and maybe a hint of vulgarity. But my explorations have brought me to a deep understanding of how much control and structure underpins the spectacle of the baroque. And often it's the mathematics and science of the period which lies at the heart of the art. This is the journey of my conversion to the delights of the baroque."
Contributors to the programme include: Nigel Llewellyn, co-curator of the V & A's major Baroque exhibition; eminent art historian Martin Kemp; architect David Mayernik; scientist Alan Chapman; and musicians Andrew Parrott and Richard Egarr.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment